[Farmall] back on topic

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Tue Dec 20 18:43:55 PST 2005

Well, since you asked....

Our students are out for Christmas today and so I got to come home a
little early and got to take the Super A for a little spin around the
yard, and up to my folks' house so my dad could see it up close. When I
had it in the parade the other week, I noticed it seemed I had lost a
fair amount of coolant from the overflow. The water level wasn't
abnormally low (I had filled it FULL) and it didn't lose any more just
setting so I didn't think I had a radiator leak. Did some more looking,
and it appears that it is running out from the lower radiator
hose/connections but I can't make up my mind where. I double checked the
clamps but it didn't stop it. What I "THINK" is happening is the hose
connection closest to the engine is leaking, the water is running down
the hose (assisted by the fan blast) and puddling at a recess in the
casting there. >>OR<< the lower water neck is leaking. I used a new
gasket when I put the neck on, and I used some JD gasket sealant on it
which frankly I was suspicious of to start with. At any rate, I expect I
am gonna have to pull the grille to get a better look at the very least,
and I am fully expecting to have to pull the radiator. Oh, did I mention
I reused the old hose instead of replacing it with a new one?  I know,
that was DUMB but it looked good!

I posted a few pictures on the Red Power Magazine board, if you'd like
go here, make sure you get all the url if you try it!

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=12006

Al