[Farmall] Leaking cylinder head

Ed and Mary Gilliland egilliland at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 20 16:44:41 PST 2005

OK, I am sure some of you guys have run across this problem before.  I have a Farmall H that I have completely rebuilt, and am having a problem with a coolant leak in the head.  The leak occurs at one  of the three studs that have  sleeves in the head.  These are in the middle of the head.  When I fill the radiator, a small amount of coolant will seep out around the outside of the stud sleeve, which means that the press fit of the sleeve is not sealing against the stud hole in the casting.  I have tried using a bronze washer under the stud nut.  The coolant does not seep around the washer, but up on top of the nut at the threads.  Can you give me some suggestions on what I might be able to do?  I want to stop this leak before I attempt a start.

Thanks.  I enjoy reading the many comments even though I don't often write myself.

Ed Gilliland