[AT] Some ads from the 12/10 Lancaster Farming

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Tue Dec 13 20:23:16 PST 2005

Mike Sloane wrote:

> Used slate, 14x18, $1.00 a piece; registered black Percheron mare, 4
> yrs., excellent broke, $2,500; springing heifer, $2,200; Lancaster
> Co., 717-768-8875. [for those of you who don't live in the area, slate
> was a very common roofing material, but eventually it flakes away or
> the nails holding it rust out. And they aren't making new. So used
> slates in good condition are very valuable.]

Regarding slate - I live in a region called the "slate belt" where slate
quarrying was the industry for many decades (probably from about 1850 to
1930's). The local high school mascot is the "slaters" and most houses
in the area still have slate roofs, although the old slate roofs are
disappearing more and more each decade. My house still has a slate roof.
Slate makes a great roof but today such a roof is too expensive to
recreate for a common person.  The ones made with the slate from this
area last about 70 to 100 years. Mine is about 70 years old. I hope to
get about another 25 years out of it....