was:Re: [AT] Christmas Trees and Ships Plank Project now Liberty Ships

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Dec 6 13:46:20 PST 2005

Up until the mid 1960s, there were about 50 Liberty ships lined up on
the Hudson River in the Haverstraw NY area. They were not only tied up
side by side but had massive cables connecting them with a powerful DC
current passing through the hulls. This was the same electrolytic
process that some of us use for de-rusting and served to keep the steel
from corroding in the brackish Hudson River water (the river is tidal).
For part of that time the ships were used to store surplus grain that
the US government had purchased under one of the farm support programs.
I suspect that the grain was eventually "donated" to some foreign
country with starving citizens, and the ships were all scrapped.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"What is past is prologue." William Shakespeare (1564-1616)