[AT] Cracked diesel block opinion question

budsteinich at internetwis.com budsteinich at internetwis.com
Mon Dec 5 14:44:13 PST 2005

Carl,
   I've what should be the same engine in a MF180.  Well
over 7500hrs on it and the only thing that may have been
touched was the injector pump.  It was our main chores
tractor on a 260 acre WI dairy farm and never got much
TLC.  I needed to move it Saturday and was "disappointed"
that I needed to charge the battery and plug in the block
heater (under a half hour each) before it would start in
20 degree F weather - after sitting unused for over two
weeks...  No fancy glow plugs, manifold heaters, or ether
involved - just need to get it cranking fast enough to
light the fuel.  One of the best little old diesel engines
made - the local canning company used them on the pea
combines (after the slant six Chyslers gave out) and they
would run forever (or until they had extra holes in the
block from lack of oil) with little maintenance...  Can't
comment on the crack, but am sold on the engine in
general.

Dave Steinich