[Farmall] w 9 new

Ferg8n9n at aol.com Ferg8n9n at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 19:48:25 PST 2005

In 1952, my dad allowed me to drive the ferguson and the VAC case, but not
the w 9.
I didn't have the power to do the clutch and brakes.  I was very keen  that
someday I could drive the w9, the most macho tractor for miles around.  It had
a lighted Mack Bulldog on the front. Every farmer stuck in the mud  knew to
call my dad for a pull, or to accomplish some difficult task. The city,  county
and township knew who to call. Dad made a few bucks like that.   It really
helped when the kero manifold was replaced  with a gas.
 When I was 10, I was employed with the w9 to pull out the whole  carnival at
the county fair after much rain. Of course, the carnies tried hard  to stiff
me, But I appealled to the Sheriff,
who froze the carnies on the highway until I got paid.
   My dad and I built a new dirt race track with the ferg and w9,  then I was
employed to pull the race cars out of the mud outside the track, me  being
much cheaper than a tow truck.
    The w9 was a powerful and super reliable machine, and  served my family
well.
Purchasing it was a real hardship, but it paid off.
Dad did early custom hay baling with a old heavy baler, and it took a
tractor like w9 to pull it.
When it got stuck in the mud, it took several john deeres to get it  out.