[AT] Union Labor

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Sat Dec 3 19:18:03 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Willer" <gwill at toast.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Union Labor

> It's at least Danny and I who have noticed the lop sided loyalty of many
> workers.  They seem to think their employers owe them more loyalty than
> they owe their employer.  Hogwash!!!  The most vocal ones are the least
> likely to understand it's a two way street.  Some even seem (wrongly) to
> think their union produces something for them that is not there already.
> Their company owes them exactly nothing beyond their current pay check,
> which settles their account... unless they somehow think they owe the
> company more than their skill and time.

Well, the union provides a united front to bargain for better wages and
benefits, including a safer workplace and rudimentary health and pension
benefits.   This is actually a social good, as the taxpayers end up
subsidizing corporate free-loaders like WalMart whose employees are so
poorly compensated they sooner or later end up on the dole for their health
care and pensions.   Without unions, the extremes of wealth and penury in
America would be even more pronounced.

Yes, many unions are corrupt; they are nothing more than a mirror of modern
American society as a whole.  What can one do?   Destroy the corruption and
you will destroy the system.   Corruption holds the system together.  Not
articulated goals.   Not shared values.   But a corruption that pervades
virtually every relationship in modern America, and which "holds" the
country "together" rather like rotted vines holding together a rotted house.

Now you can scream and holler and wave the flag all you want, but that is
the essential, salient feature of our modern society.   It will last until a
new economic dispensation (the source, finally, of *all* values) is
sufficiently in place to produce new values that hopefully will mirror the
best that is in each of us, both as a nation and as part of a larger world
community.

Louis Godena (getting back to tractors, hopefully)