[AT] 350 crawler engine stuck

D8RMAN at aol.com D8RMAN at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 10:48:08 PST 2005

If anyone remembers I was thinking something on this order a couple of
months ago in my 1st intial reponse about this maybe having put some bolts that
were too long in it as too not let the engine turn over. I seen this happen on a
 John Deere 440 log skidder when he had the engine rebuilt and dyno tested at
the  technical college I was attending at that time and he decided to install
it  himself and runied the main bearings and crankshaft as he got it to start
on  either. I hope this is not the case here but I suspect somethings wrong
if it  turned over before being installed in the dozer and doesn't now. Willard
Smith,  Tacoma, WA.

Well, I  will add my 2 cents to this.
I doubt the injection pump would seize the  engine that tight, especially
from just being run without fuel in  it.

Worked on a ford one time that had been on fire and got hot enough  that when
the injection pump was taken apart the housing was warped so bad  it could
not be put back together.  It seemed to turn over freely  before the pump was
removed.

I would check all the bolts in the bell  housing.  Make sure that a long bolt
has not been put in a hole that a  short one should be in. Had that happen
one time.  A friend wanted me  to look at a MF 65 he had just put an engine
in.  It wouldn't turn  over after putting it in.  Only thing wrong was he had
put a long bolt  in a short hole and it had gone all the way to the flywheel
and tightened  up against it.  Had the engine locked  down.

Charles