[AT] Union Labor

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sat Dec 3 08:12:54 PST 2005

Ok, I've stayed out up to this point. First, a lot of very negative things
have been said about American workers. I am a farmer, have no insurance
(like most employed folks) and no certainty that my business might not fail.
But this is true nowadays of nearly all workers in the US because big and
medium size business no longer cares about the human capital that makes the
money for them. Second, I have worked for companies ranging from 50
employees to well over 130,000. Nearly all of them outsourced jobs to
overseas. In most cases the companies now either no longer exist or a re
shadows of their former selves and make less money than they did before. A
part of this is due to competitive pressures, but mostly it is because of
the attitude that only short term cost effectiveness is important.
    Third, I have worked for both nominally American and foreign owned
companies. The biggest difference has been that the foreign owned companies
protect their home country workers and don't protect their American workers,
while the nominally American ones protect only the executives. Both lobby
the state and federal governments to lower the requirements of worker
protections of their American workers.
    Fourth, the US is the ONLY industrialized country without national
health care and also the most expensive health care by every measure any
economist has come up with. US health care is NOT better for the money
either. The reason is not overpaid nurses or other typical personnel, but
rather the structure of our system. Many people talk about how inefficient
"Government" is. And yes there are many things it is very inefficient at.
However health care management and Social Security are NOT areas this
applies. The overhead level for Medicare and the California state-run
Medical programs are less than 2% of  paid costs. LESS THAN 2%. The
Privately run insurance companies add 25% or more in overhead! The most
efficient private employer paid programs are in the 20% range.
    Fifth, due to item 4 (no national health care program), GM pays nearly
$1300 in health care costs per car, Toyota on the other hand because they
have a younger workforce and zero retiree cost pays under $300 in health
care cost per car. But the workers at GM are not less healthy, just
older.... Think about it.
    Sixth, lets get back to farming in the conversations. Does anyone have a
cheap set of bull and pinion gears for an MF 390T?

        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California