SV: [AT] Re: Chinese Iron

Mattias Kessén mattias at linderson-mark-bygg.se
Fri Dec 2 00:25:36 PST 2005

This is just one example of why the textile industry in North
Carolina is virtually gone now....

Over here it disappeared in the 50'-70's so if you want some swedish
clothing it will have to be some kind of "haute coture" (or however it's
spelled) and even the the textile is made somewhere else. Recently I
happened to speak to a guy that has worked for HM (Hennes & Mauritz big
swedish clothing company, the major stock owner is the biggest taxpayer in
Sweden) and we discussed margins. He said that they bought thongs (is that
the right word we didn't learn that much about ladiesunderwear at our
englishlessons, anyway it's the very minimalistic kind) in China. He had us
guessing how much the costed there. We guessed and there was bids between
4-20 Kronas. (0.50-2.50$) Btw here they cost 100-150 Kronas (12-18$).
	He just laughed and told us they used to pay 17 Öre, about two cent at the
factory in China. shipping can't be that high on something that weighs
almost nothing and needs almost no space. Try to beat that price. I don't
think you can stop the trade from China but you need to find things to sell
to them, almost all countries including Sweden have a positive
tradingbalance with China, including Sweden. But theres one big exception...
the USA.

/Mattias