Impact sockets (was Re: [AT] Check out Harbor freights sale on 8000lb winches

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 04:39:14 PST 2005

I don't want to start a p***ing contest over this, but regardless of
which make you buy, impact sockets are not designed to be used with
regular ratchets wrenches and regular sockets are not designed to be
used with impact wrenches. (That is regardless of the quality of the
item, and if the tool is junk/defective to begin with, it will still
fall apart even if used properly.) I have some Chinese impact sockets,
and they have held up as well as my USA made sockets, although I
willingly admit that I don't use them all that often. The problem for me
is the cost difference between USA made and Asian hand tools - if it
were only a matter of a couple of bucks, I would buy USA, but when a set
of USA impact sockets costs 3 or 4 times as much as Asian for something
that I might only use two or three times a year, I cannot justify the
higher cost. Tinkering with tractors is my hobby; if I was a
professional mechanic who depends on his tools for his livelihood, I
would buy the best equipment I could find.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel, theology professor (1907-1972)