[AJD] Off Topic - Allis Chalmers & Brush Hog

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Mon Aug 15 14:50:21 PDT 2005

I'm not Howard or Bus Driver but the overrunning clutch keeps the mower from
"pushing"  the tractor through the inertia built up in the mower blade.  Without
one you could have a big surprise when you want to stop - you push in the clutch
and the brakes but you keep going (a good way to knock down fences and such - I
know - been there, done that).  The overrunning clutch is a small device that
fits onto the pto shaft between the mower and the tractor and allows the pto
shaft to "freewheel", not allowing the mower to "push" the tractor.  A necessary
safety device for older tractors (my Ferguson TO-30 and my Allis D-14 both would
need such before hooking up a mower).
Yes, the shredder and the brush hog (or bush hog) are the same thing. Pull types
(as opposed to pick up types take much less HP to operate).
Hope this helps.

David