[AJD] Tractor Pictures

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Sun Aug 14 10:15:20 PDT 2005

Duane,

Thanks for mentioning Jerry's name. I knew what it was, but did not write
down the correct spelling of his last name and didn't want to butcher it.
Got to speak with him a little bit. Great guy and he has a real passion for
these large machines. Don't even want to think about what it takes to
restore these beasts. And you think you have trouble turning your hand start
JD??? Watched them fire these tractors up for the parade of power. Jerry had
them tuned up pretty well, but still old engines can be cantankerous. A
couple of the tractors were flywheel start where a person had to actually
stand on the spokes of the flywheel and use their weight to pull the engine
over TDC. Wouldn't want to think about what would happen if the engine would
kick back. As far as fuel economy, Jerry said most of them burned 12 gallons
per hour...whether at idle or under load.  This is a really good show with a
great attendance in spite of it being put on by a small community. Also, if
you have German or Mennonite interests, the show grounds are on the
Mennonite Heritage Museum site. Lots of displays of Mennonite culture and
history in that area. Lots of good German/Mennonite food.

Duane