[AT] OT: Was More on Air Lines - Now edible soybeans

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Aug 7 07:20:53 PDT 2005

Greg,

Thanks for the interesting post on the white edible bean
sorting.  You are an excellent writer.

The sushi restaurants taught one old dog new tricks
about soybeans.  Theirs are called edamame, and they are
pretty tasty - unlike the many dried beans I nibbled over the
years on the farm and around elevators.
They seem to have become a popular alternative crop in the US.
(Info at http://agsyst.wsu.edu/edam.htm if you want to try growing
them.)  I like the ones Whole Foods stores has green in frozen bags
in the pods.

Proponents claim that edamame is the only vegetable that
offers a complete protein profile equal to both meat and eggs. Heck,
next someone will probably tell us that the Japanese also figured this out
at few centuries before John Deere was born. So the yuppies have
shown me how to eat alfalfa and soybeans.  Wonder what's next.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~