[Steam-engine] Unqualified chief state boiler inspector

HISTMACHRY at aol.com HISTMACHRY at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 17:02:31 PDT 2005

This type of behavior is not untypical of state inspectors, even when shown
the facts from the original builder, in polite and professional manner. My
opinion is they are ignorance on the subject or have forgotten what they once
knew, wanting to save face ant not admit what they do not know. Also, the good old
default statement-that they have to sign off on the repairs, so it will
therefore the work will be done as they require. Period. If the Chief backs up the
inspectors position, there is nothing you can do.

This old riveted construction is so foreign to many inspectors especially the
new ones. Many inspectors got there hands on education in the Navy, then went
into the state agency. But that's not happening anymore. I can tell many
stories about inept inspectors, stupid requirements from inspectors, but I really
think it comes down to the fact that the inspectors and/or the states plane
old do not understand or trust the construction of the old boilers.

Also, if you want to run a lap seam boiler, I think that sends up an
immediate red flag.

Oh I could go on...Robert