[AT] Shop thoughts (was)Air Lines

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Aug 1 17:00:19 PDT 2005

On 1 Aug 2005 at 13:17, Dean VP wrote:

> Farmer:
>
> I am a bit concerned that you are over reacting here a bit. I don't want to
> try to characterize any list members shop as I haven't seen very many. What
> works for them is fine with me. But I think a wrong impression can be gained
> by the characterization that those of us who use more than rubber hose in
> our air lines have extravagant shops and have thrown money foolishly into
> our shops is a bit off the edge, IMHO.
>
> I've seen a very good operating air compressor system made from a portable
> compressor, a coil of copper tubing and one water filter. That didn't cost
> very much and was a bit cumbersome. But it worked quite well.

	Hi Dean:

	Actually I was not really responding to your post, I know you to be generally frugal
from years of reading your stuff.   :-)   I certainly have nothing against iron pipe
except it takes more "sweating" in general than copper (pun intended). I guess I have
been on this list long enough to be dangerous...   :-)   I have seen the same pattern
here so often that I can feel it coming like a cold fog on a dark night. First a few guys
start discussing what works and what can be better. Next someone invariably starts
talking about "industrial standards" then several guys kick into full Tim Taylor mode and
someone starts saying that even iron pipe is no good and only gold plated stainless steel
will work because a piece of iron pipe exploded in 1903 and killed a cat in Alabama and
besides that is what they use in the nuclear plant that they work in...   ;-)    Maybe
this time I swung the bat before the pitcher actually let go of the ball. But I know it
is coming... It always does... I can feel that cold damp fog...   ;-)   Tim Taylor lives.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA