[AT] Gasoline $

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed Aug 31 23:54:26 PDT 2005

This is not political ether (so please don't try and make it such) but just
an observation -

I was just reading part of an interview that a Sunoco executive in Colorado
gave to a News outlet earlier today.  He said that if the US had more
refinery capacity it would certainly alleviate some of the short-term stress
on the market that is caused when a refinery is shut down for maintenance or
when a disaster strikes it.  And he noted that there hasn't been a new
refinery built in the US in the last 25 years.  But he went on to say that
our bigger problem is long term and it is the lack of an adequate supply of
crude.

If as a nation we are unwilling - for whatever reason - to explore/drill for
new sources of crude (for example, in ANWAR or the Santa Barbara channel)
and to build more nuclear power plants to help solve our near term energy
needs and to make a national commitment (like the Kennedy commitment to put
a man on the moon by the end of the sixties) to finding alternative energy
sources then it seems to me we shouldn't be surprised when we see the
numbers we do on the gas pumps.  A barrel of crude contains 33 gallons and
with crude trading at 65 to 70 dollars a barrel it means that when a crew
docks a tanker and starts loading it costs them 2 dollars a gallon.  Adding
in the shipping costs, refinery costs, federal and local gas taxes and a
little markup for the retail station it's not surprising that the first
digit on the gallon cost at the pump is fast becoming a "3".

Since the first of the summer I've bought 27 cans of gas and 4 cans of
diesel to run my hobby tractors ... I think I may have to permanently park
them and start looking for a hybrid antique tractor.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington