[AJD] wheel removal completed

kreig astroguy at nas.com
Tue Aug 30 20:13:12 PDT 2005

Well, finally after a week of heating banging, pulling, and more, finally
got the wheel off the 50.

Tried the pipe over the axle trick with an end plate again.  After heating
the wheel I hit the pipe which hit the cones, all to no avail but did manage
to break one of the cones.

Finally in desperation, I whacked the end of the axle with the sledge hammer
3 times. The wheel, was still hot from the torch, turned the push bolts
which proceeded to push out the cone.  Success at last.

I wont use the pipe over the axle technique again, ended up crushing the
pipe end (the end next to the cones).

If the other wheel is as difficult as this one, I will:

First, remove the pinion bolt.   Ultimately I think this was a BIG factor in
keeping the wheel on.  I am quite sure that banging on the cone ends with
the racking bolt frozen was the cause of the broken cone. The pinion bolt is
still frozen in the wheel assembly even though the cones are out.

I am not sure if whacking the end of the axle was the deciding factor only
because the wheel had been heated and pulled and pounded on before.
However, the wheel never moved until the end of the axle was hit 3 times.

Thanks everyone for your help, your suggestions, and your support.

Kreig