[AT] MF Clutch

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 06:59:25 PDT 2005

Well, I knew that someday it would have to come to this but, I hopes it
wouldn't be so soon. I have to split my MF 202 and replace (or clean REALLY good)
the clutch. The other day I noticed that the clutch was slipping so, I did a
little investigating and discovered the inside of the bell housing and clutch
were covered with engine oil. Obviously, I need to replace the rear main engine
seal at the very least. Hopefully I can just clean the clutch with some brake
cleaner but, I know my luck doesn't usually work like that.

The preliminary prices are about $300 for the parts to do the seal and
clutch. If the clutch is the least bit suspect then I will replace it. This will be
my first time messing with a clutch and splitting the tractor once in my
lifetime is enough for me. In fact the thought of splitting the tractor really has
my shorts in a bunch.

In a quick conversation with the mechanic at the local MF dealership he
suggested that I remove the backhoe but leave the loader attached. Then just unbolt
the back of the loader frame from the rear axles and support the front part
of the tractor at the loader frame. This should allow me to just roll the back
of the tractor from between the loader frame rails. Of course I'll also have
to remove a ton of other stuff from the tractor (fuel tank, dash, steering
column,etc). I'm thinking that I can weld up a rolling support from some square
steel tubing. This will fit under the bell housing and allow me to move the back
end of the tractor more easily.

So, do any of you guys have any words of wisdom or encouragement?

Karl