[Farmall] brake cover

Thomas Hudon Firecat at localnet.com
Fri Aug 26 19:39:29 PDT 2005

This is my first time writing the farmall digest mailing list. This is the first time i've never owed a tractor this size. It was given to me by a contractor that frquents the lumber and hardware store i manage.I have worked on much farm machinery and driven more tractors than i can count but have never owned one before. I say that i own it but i basically handed it over to my brother for him to use since he has more use for it than i do, but it has become a team effort to get it running and i will probably find many uses for it when it is. Now i'm not afraid to tear into anything mechanical, i've rebuilt many automobiles and trucks. My brother and i are really getting into fixing the farmall h up so it can at least run, but i'm having a awful time taking the right brake cover off. When we first went to get the tractor that brake was froze up. After tugging the tractor a few feet it broke loose and then the wheel moved freely. We have removed the brake rod actuator arm from the cam pin and unbolted the cover expecting it to come off. It didn't. After heating up the cover around the pin to cherry red and prying and swearing it didn't budge.I got a little more aggresive with it with a bigger bar and got the pin to move some out of the differential case some which allowed me the chance to inspect inside the cover. It's full of rust. the only way i can see getting the cover off is to remove the brake band, cover and pin all at the same time with alot of prying and penetrating oil. Has anyone else been through this delema before? Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do? suggestions from anybody are more than welcome. Tom Hudon in Crown Point New York.