[Steam-engine] Steaming tobacco beds?

John Byers byers at bluemarble.net
Fri Aug 26 07:19:41 PDT 2005

Back in the day, this was often the last gasp (literally) for a traction
engine with a sketchy boiler, worn out gearing, etc. as full pressure wasn't
needed, just the ability to produce lots and lots of steam, and move about
the field periodically. I was told by the old-timers that it was really hard
on the boiler, especially the flues, because the blower was run continually
at full blast.

The process destroyed soil born fungi that produced fusarium (sp?, or
tobacco wilt as well as weed seeds. It took about 20 minutes to steam about
a 4x8 foot area by means of a steel pan of that size that sat on the ground.
The same old-timers recollected putting potatoes and eggs under the pan
around dinner time. Now a days chemical means accomplish the same thing for
non-organic tobacco growers.

John

Ps. The Advance-Rumely is *still* for sale....don't let this one get away!