[Steam-engine] Displacement oiler Test WAS: Steam oiler

Andre' Blanchard andre at usermail.com
Mon Aug 22 16:18:41 PDT 2005

The displacement oiler has one opening near the top of a container which is
initially filled with oil.  This opening is connected to the steam pipe by
a smallish tube.  The oil and steam/water molecules bump around each other
do to brownian motion (http://physics.nad.ru/Physics/English/brow_txt.htm)
and helped out by pressure variations in the steam line.  Once the water
molecules are in the container a sorting process takes place because of the
difference in density between the water and the oil, the water falls to the
bottom of the container.  The net accumulation of water in the container
results in a movement of oil out and into the steam line.

That is about as good of an explanation as I have found.
Andre' B.  Clear Lake, Wi.