[AT] Ford 640 with Sherman Backhoe Question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 22 14:17:49 PDT 2005

John Bukowski wrote:
> Ouch!  Nothing like learning the hard way.  I'll have to take a look at the
> backhoe but I think I understand what you mean.  Do you think I can
> disassemble the lower arm from the backhoe without pulling the whole unit
> from the tractor?
No, you have to pull the backhoe and separate the two pieces (I don't
have an image of the Sherman to go by).

>  I was thinking at some point I would remove the backhoe
> and work the tractor over, but planned on that after I finished a few jobs
> around here.  I wonder if there are parts manuals or the like which give an
> exploded view on the hoe, and maybe provided some maintenance help?
Try the archives/manuals at the N-News site <http://www.n-news.com/>
They have manuals for a lot of obsolete equipment and at reasonable prices.

> Mike,
> Does Ford/New Holland still provide service parts for the Sherman Hoe?  I
> would guess if I could find the right machine shop they could supply or make
> the right bushings.
New Holland never did supply service on the Sherman hoe (although I have
heard that they did service Sherman auxiliary transmission). They do
supply virtually all the parts for the 640, I am afraid that the backhoe
is pretty much of an "orphan". But bushings are bushings - it doesn't
matter what kind of equipment they come from. The machine shop can just
size them appropriately for your machine. I would make sure you are
sitting down when they quote you a price - on the bigger machines, the
complete job of removing the parts, having them line bored and refitted,
and re-assembled by our shop would run about $1500. I would imagine that
the machine work alone would be somewhat less than that.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell
whether a man is wise by his questions.
-Naguib Mahfouz, writer (1911- )