[AT] Some ads from the 8/20 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 22 09:25:09 PDT 2005

I was only referring to a trip driving a crane with a 45' boom, using
what has been referred to as one of the heaviest traveled corridors in
the country - between Philadelphia PA and NYC. I don't live anywhere
near either, but there really aren't any good alternatives to the super
highways for a good portion of the route.

Several years ago, I bought a (non-running) Farmall F-30 from a farmer
about 5 miles away (as the roads go), and it was too wide for any
trailer we could lay our hands on. So, on a lovely summer Sunday
morning, I drove over to his place on my Farmall Super M with a long
chain, hooked the F-30 up, and towed it back with the seller "driving"
the F-30. I only encountered two vehicles the whole trip, which is about
what I would expect on those roads. As you could imagine, we had to go
pretty slowly, as the F-30 isn't designed for "high speed" travel -
anything over about 3 mph. :-) Our biggest concern wasn't traffic but
any downhill runs, as the F-30's brakes aren't at all impressive. On one
steep hill near my place, we swapped the lead, and I used the Super M to
keep the F-30 from going too fast.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell
whether a man is wise by his questions.
-Naguib Mahfouz, writer (1911- )