[AT] Some ads from the 8/20 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 22 04:04:53 PDT 2005

Grant Brians wrote:
> Mike, I have comments on your comments on several of these items - not
> totally tongue in cheek....
> Subject: [AT] Some ads from the 8/20 Lancaster Farming
> For Sale:
>>
>> 6-wheel Cat 12 road grader, 6 cyl. diesel motor, good for grading farm
>> roads, $800 OBO. Must sell. Warren, NJ 908-859-2851. [hmm. I sold one
>> just like that to a farmer in Warren county, but I only got $500 for
>> mine]
>>
> These are very useful and if in good shape there is still a demand here
> in California where we still have a lot of them in use. But like you say
> on some items the shipping would kill us.
The machine I had, a 1942 112 model, was entirely operated by levers
going to bull gears and making any kind of adjustments was an art in
itself. Operating the grader on my twisting hilly road required two men
and a boy, or the blade would either dig in or miss the ground entirely.
And the turning circle was measured in acres, not feet. For straight
line road building, I would imagine that an experienced operator would
be able to do a good job. I also wasn't willing to pay Cat's prices for
parts.

>> Crawler crane 22-B Buryrus Erie 318 Cat engine 45 ft boom $3850. Cecil
>> Co. MD 410-642-2480. [that sure would be handy, but how would I get it
>> home?]
>>
> Now this question I can answer! Since you retired... drive it home! How
> far can it be from Cecil County MD to Allamuchy? Only about 150 miles,
> so traveling at 4-5 mph, it would only be 30 hours. This would be a
> terrific trek worthy of a full account!
You are either joking or not familiar with the roads between those two
points. Moving that kind of machine would require at least two dozen
special permits from various state/local/bridge agencies, fully marked
and permitted escort vehicles front and rear, and the willingness to put
up with constant abuse from other drivers and local/state police. In
fact, I suspect that the permits are likely to specify night time travel
only to reduce the blocking of the roads during commuting hours. The
only sensible alternative would be to contract with a professional
hauler, who would likely remove the boom and handle the haul in two
pieces. And the hauler's price would require a home equity loan. :-)

Mike
--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It
is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher. -Henry van Dyke, poet
(1852-1933)