[AT] Now these are plows!

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Aug 21 22:13:15 PDT 2005

On 8/21/2005 at 9:15 PM Dudley Rupert wrote:

>Boy, if that is not the mother of all moldboard plows I can't imagine what
>would be.
>
>Just to learn/review a little about deep plowing what are some of the
>reasons for wanting to go so deep?

Dudley,

I seem to remember back when I was a kid, likely in the early 50's, the Missouri river flooded thousands of acres of prime bottom ground in St. Louis county and covered some of it with up to a foot of sand.  I did not see them, but was told they brought in huge Cat-drawn plows that could go close to  4-ft deep and plowed the sand under - and the gumbo back up  so it could be farmed again.  Never heard of that happening before or since.  Seems after the plowing with Cats, the moldboard plows used to work bottom ground would wear through pretty fast.  With that much sand in the soil, plowing that heavy ground wore through the moldboards many times faster than before. I saw some of the worn-through or razor-thin plows at dealerships and farm auctions.  The parts were replaceable, so the plows could be rebuilt and many were, but some of the plows were traded for new ones as they wore out.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com