[AT] Portland Handicap Permits

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Tue Aug 16 17:45:04 PDT 2005

    I just did a quick calculation of the volunteer labor
donated by the A.T.I.S. group and it comes to well over 100
hours just from the tractor people who camp there. We have a
large group who donates both monitarily and socially to the Tri
State Club. We, at least I, attend meetings and meet personally
with the directors, express our ideas and have helped in
planning the changes for the new ground they have acquired.
    It is true that areas are reserved by the directors ahead of
time. I attend at least 1 work day each year and volunteer
during the show. Avid volunteers are given favorable treatment
as they should be. Normal work days have a turnout of between 50
and 60 people to help prepare and maintain the grounds.
    Our A.T.I.S. group now has 20 confirmed campers in the
tractor area alone. Last year 12 of us helped the Girard Family
by picking up and loading the oats for the threshing
demonstration. I run my tractor on the thresher any time I have
the opportunity.
    We have a close working arrangement with the club and they
know they can count on us any time they need help.
    I, as wagonmaster, meet each year with the appropriate
directors to assure them that we are here to help make their
show a better one as best we can. George Willer started this
close arrangement and I hope I can continue filling his shoes.
    Perhaps we are a lot closer than other groups and it would
be impossible to have each individual area reserved. If I were
not with the A.T.I.S. group, I would make the trip to reserve my
own area, or more likely go when I plan to stay and accept
whatever arrangements were available.
    I certainly do not wish to see people refuse to attend
because of rules that are made for the majority of the people.
Many rules are dictated by the insurance company. Try $100,000
premium for this show. The rules make for a safer and less
conjested show for all who attend.

            gdotsly at loganrec.com

    A.T.I.S. Wagonmaster, Gene Dotson