[AT] Vermeer round baler

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Aug 16 10:58:18 PDT 2005

	Thanks guys for the responses.
	When I got to my dealer friends place I looked at the only 605C baler (bale 6' dia x 5'
wide) I could find and was not impressed with its condition. While not torn up much some
of it was apart and a few parts missing. Almost a "kit" baler. We wanted something pretty
much field ready this time and I thought the price was too high for a kit. I was a bit
surprised since I have been buying stuff along from him for a very very long time and he
has always been very straight with us. After looking it over I called Scott at work to
talk to him about it since he is buying it. We decided we didn't want to go down that
road. I decided to go talk to my friend anyway thinking that maybe he had some kind of a
deal in mind. When I approached him he said at once that he had given the wrong model
number to Scott and that he wouldn't want the one I was looking at. The one he was
talking to Scott about was a 504C. We had not really considered a smaller baler (5' dia x
4' wide) but I went out to look at it. It was field ready and in pretty nice shape all
over. The chains and sprockets showed no wear at all and the 10" outer belts were like
new. The 4" belts were in varied condition but none very bad. This model does not have
the big wide bottom rear belt someone warned me was costly to replace. The PTO shaft was
nice and tight too. I called Scott again and after much pacing around the big lot I
finally found a spot I could stand and talk to him. If I moved a foot any direction the
phones cut out. We were on opposite sides of Indy about 50 miles apart... I tend to walk
around when I talk on the phone (even in the living room) and found standing in that spot
quite a handicap.   :-)   At least I could still wave my arm around.  :-)  We decided
that since most of our customers are smaller feeders and horse folks that the smaller
easier to handle bale might actually be an advantage. They will be easier for us to
deliver and many of our hay customers and potential customers own 20 to 40 HP tractors
and they find a 1200 pound bale too heavy to move but often two people can roll one of
the smaller bales and the smaller tractors will lift one. I scratched a big X in the
ground with my foot to mark the "good spot" in case I needed to call Scott again...   :-)
  I brought it home and was pleased with how solidly it towed. As we looked it over more
together last night we found no surprises and I think it is a very good baler. We will
find out if it ever quits raining...
	Does anyone know if there is a Vermeer manual site on line anywhere? I will do some
searching tonight.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA