[AT] RFDTV

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Tue Aug 16 05:10:11 PDT 2005

If you took the survay you saw they asked about horses twice.  I got the
feeling that they wanted to slant the stats.

Horses take up an odd place in the rural scene.

I was looking at a 4H site the other day for info on dairy goats for a guy
up the road.  The site had some comments along the lines of don't keep the
ones that you will not eat, and if you will not eat them, sell them to
someone who will.  You put too much food into them to get nothing in return.

That struck me as very strange coming from 4H ahd it seems most of the public
4H stuff I see is centered around horses, and I can not think of a single
more useless animal then the horse.  Please don't get me wrong, we have one
and we like him, but hell, our pygmie goats are better companion animals and
run pretty much all summer with little intervention.  The horse on the other
hand is always needing something.

Sad to say, but with the exception of the few people who keep horse powered
farming alive for personal reasons, I think horses are the #1 useless
critter.  Kind of like boats only you have to feed and deal with them
all the time not just the few times a year you take them out.

Much like boats they are sort of a status symbol.  Look, I can afford to
keep 12 large useless criters in a prestinley kept area.  And I think
RFDTV is aiming there programming where the money is.

If the current zoaning nazis keep threatening our old iron and we need to
buy $10,000 permits to keep old iron, and a lot of people do it, then
we will look like an attractive target too, but for now we are just
a humble curiosity.

--Matthew