[AT] Portland Handicap Permits

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 04:10:58 PDT 2005

	The club at Portland sent a letter this summer to those of
us who are members listing the requirements for using a vehicle of
any kind with a handicap permit this year. Because some of the
requirements are going to be tough to meet, I have a feeling they
may soften some on some of them but you never know. Here is what
the letter said.

	Rules for Handicap Vehicles

1. Must provide proof of handicap
2. Must provide proof of insurance which must be shown at the
    gate when you enter.
3. Handicap person must wear wristband at all times.
4. Loose or torn wristbands will not be honored.
5. Handicap person with wristband must be on riding
    vehicle any time it is in motion.
6. Anyone riding without a handicap person will be
    asked to leave the grounds.
7. Only two people to a golf cart unless it has a 2nd seat.
8. No two wheel bicycles. No skate boards. No roller blades
    No two wheel motorized vehicles.
9. No vehicles wider than 60 inches.
10. Speed limit is no faster than a fast walk of 5 mph.
11. Drivers of any vehicle must be at least 16 years of age
     and have a drivers license.
12. Please limit riding vehicles in Antique/Crafts area
     between 8AM and 5PM.

	This was earlier this summer and the rules may have been
made tougher or easier since then depending on club politics but
they seemed pretty serious about enforcing these this year.

	I have a handicap permit myself and was told last year by
the registrar at the club that I would automatically get a permit
from the club this year prior to the show but that did not happen
either. I have a feeling there has been considerable discussion
about these rules since then.

Cecil