[AT] No spark

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Sun Aug 14 17:01:30 PDT 2005

>Matthew, I find your comments to Jeff interesting.  Think I'll copy them
>for future trial.  But, what is a "bug light" and a neon light?  Easy to
>get at a parts store?   Can you use a timing light?   John W.~v

In this case a bug light is nothing more then a 12V light bulb!  You could
also use a volt meter, but with the digital ones it takes some skill to
figure out what is going on as the pulses are too quick.  The light bulb
will flicker visibley at the low RPM's the starter  turns the engine over
at.  If it starts I thing it would pretty much appear to glow all the time.

A neon light is another kind of tester, common at hardware and auto parts
stores.  It will probabley set you back a buck or two.  It glows when it has
higher voltage (above 60 or so, and up to thousands) across it.

Cheep and easy!

--Matthew

PS:  Some of the inductive timeing lights might work.  THe one where
the sensor clamps over a plug wire.