[AT] Dad's tractor - What to do? #2

jfgrant jfgrant at triton.net
Sat Aug 13 10:59:59 PDT 2005

 My wife and I had always wanted Dad's 630 but didn't find out about the
auction until it was already over. We didn't know who bought it or where it
went until a recent Paradise Kansas school reunion (2004) where we met John
 Harrell and he remembered the tractor and the story. He had sold the
tractor  to Leo Zeigler.

 Leo Zeigler had an auction in April 1997 when he reduced his collection of
John Deere tractors. A friend and I went out to see Leo's tractors before
the sale and left some bids as we could not be there for the sale. At that
time I did not know the serial # of Dean's 630. I looked at Leo's 630 and
had my hands on it!   I now know the serial # is 6309502. Dean Bear's John
Deere 630 Standard!

 On April 21st, 2005  I received an AUCTION flyer from Dennis Polk. While
reading thru  the tractors offered for sale on July13th,2005 I saw a John
Deere Model 630  Standard and the serial number jumped right off the page at
me. Yep, the serial # is 6309502, Dad's tractor.  NOW WHAT TO DO??

 Dennis describes this  tractor as "Nicest Original 630 I have seen"
Adjustable front end,3 pt, 3 piece weight set, original cylinder, 2014
hours. All original.

 Well after disussing this situation with my wife, we decided to try and
bring Dad's tractor home.
 Several John Deere tractors in our tractor barn /collection were sold to
raise funds for the attempt to bring Dad's tractor home.

 On July 12th. two friends and I traveled to Steen Minnesota to attend the
Bill DeYager sale conducted by Dennis Polk. I had talked with Dennis prior
to the sale to find out about when this tractor would sell because we had to
be back home the evening of the 14th. Dennis indicated that he thought that
the tractor would sell very early in the sale.

 The sale started at 9 a.m. and by 10:30 a.m. we had bought Dad's tractor
and  had it loaded for the return trip home. It wasn't cheep but good things
never are.