Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 07:31:12 PDT 2005

	There is a lot more to this energy business than you see
at first glance. Personally, I think the answer is that there is
no answer to it.

	In the world, we are burning oil now almost as fast as we
can get it out of the ground and refine it. More and larger refineries
are not the answer because we will be out of fuel before they can be
built. Conservation is not the answer because there are too many
countries involved and no one wants to be the one who stops using so
much fuel. We all want more and more. Drilling is one way but not the
answer because supplies are getting to be more and more limited and
this situation will be worse instead of better. Coal is not the answer
because burning coal will raise the emission levels out of sight and
there will be hell to pay. Same for burning wood. Windmills and solar
power are only good in certain areas and are not the answer either.
Nuclear energy is a possible but the process to get the permits
and permissions is so complicated and fraught with lawsuits and
roadblocks that we will be out of fuel before nuclear power plants
can be built. Growing some corn to make alcohol fuel is only a partial
answer as we could not possibly grow enough corn to do more than make
a dent in the supply chain unless we quit growing corn for human and
animal food altogether which is a joke.

	One thing is such a shame that it has bothered me for years.
At one time we had the finest railroad system in the world and we have
allowed it to be almost totally dismantled except for mainline freight
and high speed rail commuter networks. Instead of one or two locomotives
pulling 150 cars of freight, we now have 150 trucks, each with it's own
diesel engine, pulling one truck apiece. INHO, a needless and senseless
waste of fuel. Yes, we need trucks for local delivery but not the large
over the road trucks we have today on our Interstate highways. Much of
our fuel cost is in the form of taxes to pay for repair and maintenance
of the superhighways necessary to support all these trucks. Yes, I know
they also pay extra taxes but I am basically talking about using fuel
here and not about cost.

	We have gone from a nation that was populated with people who
went ahead and built the greatest free nation in the world to one full
of people who protest anything anyone else wants to do. We cannot agree
on anything these days, it seems. One nice thing about it, all those
who fight any effort to fix the problem will be in it up to their necks
along with the rest of us. When that time comes, all you will hear is
whining and complaining that none of us did anything about it. I say
get ready for it because is is coming. It is not a prediction of doom
and gloom but a realistic look into the future.

	Do whatever you can to make yourselves self sufficient and not
dependent on others for things that you need. Especially food and fuel
if you can. Just remember that when the tanks run dry and the diesel
fuel is not there for all those big trucks, millions of people will not
be able to find food to feed themselves at the corner stores. They will
also not be able to get warm in the winter or cool in the summer. For
some it may be as minor a matter as not being able to go to Disney on
vacation that year but for others a matter of life or death.

	As to fuel prices, I think the rise in price is just starting.
China is building cars and trucks faster than we are at the moment and
needs them. They are going to be one of the largest consumers of fuel
in the world, if not the largest by far - but only for as long as it
lasts. China will go back to walking where they want to go and carrying
produce on their heads in baskets if necessary but I doubt it would ever
work out for us. Prices will rise considerably according to supply and
demand which is the system we use in the world today. I don't look for
them to come down at all as there is no extra supply to cut prices on.
So, they can only go up and that is what will happen. Maybe rationing
will help, and you can be sure it will be on the agenda before too long,
but I doubt it.

	Who knows, maybe small one family farms will make a comeback
some day........

Cecil