Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Aug 11 06:43:29 PDT 2005

Jim,

My (old) chemical engineer's handbook lists the energy content of ethanol at
12,780 BTU/Lb., and gasoline (varies) at about 20,000 BTU/Lb.  From the
amount of energy contained, I would expect mileage to suffer by about 36%

If I were to figure the total fuel used in the production of ethanol for
fuel, I would also figure in the total fuel used in the production and
transportation of the raw material and transportation of the finished
product.  I   would also figure in an amortized amount for the energy used
to produce the farm  equipment necessary and the energy used to produce the
chemicals necessary to produce a successful crop.  Wouldn't you?

Using your figure of 1.29/gal and adjusting for the poorer mileage, the
ethanol would cost $2.02/gal BEFORE ADDING TAXES to be equal to gasoline.

George Willer