Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Rob Wilson rowilson at infinet.com
Wed Aug 10 19:41:10 PDT 2005

I don't understand why a country like Brazil has Ethanol
fueled cars available and we don't. Ethanol costs about
1/2 what gasoline costs and is renewable. The article even
talks about an owner of a 2004 Chevy Montana pickup happy
to be paying $10 to fill up instead of $17.

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=21731

This is ridiculous! If we really want to stop buying
imported oil, we could burn ethanol made from American
grown corn and use it in your General Motors built truck.
This would make corn worth more than $2.00 a bushel and
we can't have that. Sort of like the bio diesel made
from US grown soy beans now.
Then again we could always look into the technology
that bankrupted Allis-Chalmers when the government pulled
it's money out of coal gasification that A-C had invested
everything in when the foreign oil got cheap again. The
thought of using USA coal to power our cars and homes and
keep the people working in the places the coal comes from
sounds good to me. It seems every time we get close to
developing a new source for fuel the foreign oil prices
drop making the alternate fuel more expensive and the
bottom drops out and we go back to oil. Sounds like a
conspiracy to me :)
Rob