[AT] Good Combine Day

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Aug 9 15:03:29 PDT 2005

For many years I have made the statement that if you need something,
someone somewhere has it at a reasonable price for you, and they are happy
to sell it.  Yesterday was a good example of this.

  Lately I have made several references to edible beans.  This is a
continuation of that.  This year I have 22 acres of black beans.  Being
only a 110 acre farmer, I have mainly old equipment.  For several years I
have been harvesting my edible beans with a #82 IH pull-type
combine.  However, this machine has had one big drawback...it has no
straw-chopper.

In our area beans come off first and it is common practice to plant winter
wheat after the beans because it is still early enough in the
season.  However, it is impossible to work the field unless the bean straw
has been chopped up.  (For many years, everyone in our area just burned the
bean straw, but today that practice would likely land one in jail.)  For
several years I have gone behind the combine with our forage harvester,
chopped the bean straw and blown it back into the field.  Besides the extra
fuel and taking an extra day-and-a-half of work, it was very hard on the
chopper.  For the past 3 years, I have been looking at the combine and
trying to figure out how one could retrofit a straw-chopper on it, but the
main problem has been how to drive it.

Which brings me back to the first sentence of my post.  A week ago my
brother borrowed my copy of the book, 150 years of International Harvester,
and had it lying on the counter at work.  A customer came in, was looking
through and stopped at the section on combines.  One thing led to another
and my brother mentioned that I had a #82 IH combine and was always
concerned that I didn't have a way to chop the straw with the combine.  The
customer then replied, "Oh, I have one at home complete with
straw-chopper."  (I never knew a straw-chopper was ever commercially made
for a pull-type combine like this.)  For $200 I bought the combine and
straw-chopper.  The combine has been outside for 5 years, but the
straw-chopper has been kept indoors.  The straw-chopper was made by
Innes-Lockwood (sp?).  It was a short-line company which specialized in
bean harvest equipment.  If it exists toady, it has been purchased by
another company and no longer goes by that name.  I haven't got it home yet
as the owner wants to remove the hydraulic cyclinder and hoses from it, and
said he would put good enough rims and tires on it for me to get it the 25
miles home.  I may need to return the rims and tires as he was probably
going to take them off of a wagon. I intend to use this combine as parts
machine anyway, and install the straw-chopper on my present combine.  All
in all a good day.

Greg Hass