[AT] Old machinery page

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Tue Aug 9 14:23:46 PDT 2005

Ralph,

Thanks for sharing the pictures - looks like it was a good parade.  I especially
liked the picture of the threshing machine.  I remember one sort of like that in
this neighborhood when I was a wee lad.  One neighbor had the threshing machine,
my great uncle had the tobacco setter and my grandpa had the one row corn
snapper (JD model 100 - I still have it sitting in the shed).  Most of the
bigger farm chores were shared (people used to gather to harvest the tobacco and
the host farm supplied lunch - usually a big spread with lots of fried chicken,
veggies, cornbread and biscuits - I got in on a few of those - good eats).
Being the oldest grandson, I got special "favors" and I was petted for sure.  My
first tractor diving experience was pulling a tobacco sled through the field.
Started with the Allis B - couldn't handle the clutch and then was switched to
the Allis D-14.  Had to step on the clutch, put it out of gear and then step on
the brakes.  Can't imagine anything like that these days.  I was 6 or 7 years
old - began my love for the sound of the Allis engines.  Like my MF35 for it's
ability to do a lot of jobs but that Perkins diesel sounds nothing like the Buda
engines <grin>.
Good memories but that day is long past.

David