[AT] More on Air Lines

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sat Aug 6 21:13:06 PDT 2005

This information may not be practical for anyone on the list, but I would
just like to show that there is vast array of solutions to the various
problems that we may run into.

Our area has long been known for growing white edible beans.  The quality
of the beans being completely dependent on the weather, bad weather can
cause many off-color beans to be harvested.  To sort the beans, they use
machines that around here are commonly called "the eyes".    Although I
know little of the more modern ones used in the last 15 years, the ones
used before that were approximately 2' x 2' x 5' high.  Each machine had a
small belt that would drop one single file row of beans down a one-ft.
square opening.  On one side was an electric eye, and when it saw a "bad
bean", an electric coil would open a little needle valve and a puff of air
would blow that bean out of the stream and onto the "reject" conveyor.  The
way the eye worked was that for each grade, 3 of the side panels would be
changed to matched the color of bean that was being processed, according to
grade.  The electric eye would then pick up any bean that did not match the
backdrop color.  Because the beans were processed single file, each machine
was able to process only 400 lbs. per hour.  Therefore, there were
approximately 40 machines in one room.  The air was supplied by two 10-HP
compressors.

The problem that they ran into was that water from the air lines would get
into the electric coils that opened the needle valves and burn them
out.  According to people that worked there it was quite a problem.  The
answer was a machine about the size of an 8-cu.ft. chest freezer.  I am not
sure of the inner workings of it, however it had a refrigeration compressor
on it and cooled the compressed air as it went through, similar to a
dehumidifier.  Beside it were a couple of 5-gal. pails.  They said they
took out about 5-gal. of water per shift.  However, in the 4 years they had
had the machine, they had not burned out a single coil on the electric eyes.

The reason I said at the beginning that this may not be practical is that,
if I remember right....(CRS is in play here)... the price was $5000 for the
air dryer.  Still, an interesting solution to a nagging problem.

Greg Hass