[AT] More dumb stuff...

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Aug 5 06:47:23 PDT 2005

	I previously mentioned the looking for the end of the air hose I was holding in my hand
event. Yesterday I did one of those things that is equally embarrassing or at least would
have been if someone was watching. Even worse I do it about every few weeks. I speak of
climbing to the seat of an old tractor to use it and once my posterior is firmly planted
in the seat (some of these tractors are hard to climb on) only then do I realize that I
have climbed on a tractor that has to be crank started...   :-)   That falls in there
with driving 20 feet and the tractor dies because some fool forgot to turn the fuel back
on.   :-)
	George Willer mentioned dropping stuff... Oh yeah..."CONSTANTLY". If I work on something
that is a pretty good sign that every tool I have used has hit the ground at least once.
Valve caps do a decent job of staying in my hand unless I am parked in tall grass. I also
find that knuckle bleeding is on the increase.
	I try to work even more carefully these days. I have always used chocks and jack stands
or cribbing as much as possible but now I try to watch what I do closer than ever.
	This hay baling stuff may be falling under the "dumb stuff" heading. Yesterday I was
working alone stacking bales 10 feet high in an old steel grain bin while the temp was 95
degrees in the shade (maybe 105+ in the bin). I was giving serious consideration that I
just may be getting too danged old for some of this crap. It may be time for further
lifestyle adjustments. Being well blessed with poverty I have spent much of my life
"chopping with the back of the ax". For most of his farming career my father kept hired
help at least in the summer and sometimes year round. These days on a small farm that
just isn't an affordable option.
	I also find that implement tongues weigh more than they used to and stuff I used to just
lift off and on to hitch now requires a jack. A while back I started buying under car
type jacks at yard sales for a buck or less apiece and I use them under heavier implement
tongues like the baler and my grain drill etc.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA