[AT] Shop rags

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Aug 4 10:15:19 PDT 2005

	Disposal of rags soaked in linseed oil came up on a woodworking list I own and that
reminded me of something I have been wanting to post. Or maybe I already did and forgot.
:-)
	I have been wanting to install a short wire clothesline someplace out of sight behind
the shop. Maybe 20' or less. We use all manner of rags in the shop, some get really
greasy removing a gob of grease and others like some in the wood shop rarely get very
dirty. About once a month or less I give Diana a load of rags to wash for me. The next
load in the washer is usually something like dust rags from the house, never a load of
whites...   ;-)   I used to just toss the really greasy stuff but I find that if I just
hang them out in the weather for a while that soon they are clean enough to use again or
at least to go into a load of rags to wash. The ones that have "weathered clean" are the
ones we grab to use on really greasy jobs.
	I like using the paper shop towels like Scott's shop towels but I do find that they will
ignite very easy and after being used a couple of time to where the fibers loosen up they
will burn almost with a flash. Normally a cloth rag will smolder then burn if exposed to
welding sparks but the paper shop towels burn brightly. I have never had a cloth rag
catch fire from grinding sparks but the paper towels will catch from grinding sparks.
	BTW, Diana doesn't like to have my washed rags hanging on her clothesline where people
might see them...   :-)   She prefers to hang them out overnight.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA