[AT] Was: Still Looking for Phosphoric Acid?

Sheppard, Charles E sheppard at indiana.edu
Tue Aug 2 08:21:07 PDT 2005

My interests are in maintenance and general arc and oxyfuel welding,
brazing, that sort of thing.  But one of these days I'm going to try
TIG.  My whole family worked in the trades.  My dad and brother were
pipefitter/welders, uncles were electricians, a machinist, sheetmetal
workers, etc., but this little piggy went to college.  I still have a
passion for shop work and one of these days when I retire.......

The reference to cleaning with phosphoric acid I believe was related to
welding chrome-moly.  The phosphoric acid is supposed to be washed off
thoroughly with water, then dried.  The interest on the list was for
treating rust and I remember reading on some products that red rust has
to be present for the product to work.  I don't see the connection with
the welding application.  Maybe there's a chemist out there who can
explain.  I mentioned in my earlier post that OSPHO has sodium
dichromate as one of the ingredients.  I know chromates are bad for the
environment and bad to ingest.  Again, our chemist buddies might help
here.  There's a lot of bad stuff that we come in contact with and now
I'm seeing articles about lawsuits against Lincoln for alleged health
affects from breathing welding fumes, I suppose from the flux coating.
We all need to be careful but I believe there is risk in everything we
might work on.  I think I am beginning to ramble.....back to work.