[AT] Still Looking for Phosphoric Acid?

Sheppard, Charles E sheppard at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 1 18:16:20 PDT 2005

I have a hard time keeping up with the threads sometimes, but, if its not plowing the same furrow, I picked up a book at Lowes over the weekend, "Welder's Handbook"  by Richard Finch.  I guess I'm hoping to learn to weld by reading a book!  Anyway, the author talks about weld preparation and explains that you should use phosphoric acid to clean the weld pieces.  He says its available under the name, "OSHPO" (sic).  OSPHO has a web site, www.ospho.com.  Its also available from www.jamestowndistributors.com/find;a;1;ID;,Engine.Room,Degreasers,Ospho.Metal.Treatment and can be mail ordered.  The web site says it contains orthophosphoric acid, sodium dichromate(wow!) and wetting agents.  It goes without saying, good ventilation is a must.  Out of curiosity, I called Ulrich chemical in Indianapolis and they also sell the pure stuff (industrial grade as the stuff is also used in food).  Its available in 4 x 1 gal cartons and various carboy and drum sizes.  Its about $20/gal.  The Ulrich person I spoke with was not encouraging when I asked about mail order as it is a hazardous chemical subject to DOT regs. and will require a special license to ship.  Federal Express will do it; UPS won't.  He suggested picking it up at a distributor.  Alas, Ulrich is an Indiana firm with branches in KY, IL and OH.  Hope this is helpful.

Chuck