[AT] Shop thoughts (was)Air Lines

Roger Welsch captneb at micrord.com
Mon Aug 1 09:15:05 PDT 2005

Grant...   You really hit the nail on the head.  For some of us, it's a
hobby.  For others it's a way of making a living.  I think we can profit
from each other but we shouldn't confuse what we're about.

About heritage foods...  There are seed banks that are BEGGING for places to
grow ancient and endangered species to keep the line going.  I am currently
nursing two corn stalks from seeds salvaged from a 19th-century Pawnee
prayer bundle.  I just got back from carrying water to them...and
appreciating the women who on this very ground nursed the same plants in the
face of grasshoppers, drought, hail, wind, buffalo, and Lakota.  The U of
Nebr has a collection of ancient melons and squash from Nebr tribes and some
friends and kin of mine are nursing some along in their own gardens.  I once
grew some incredible blue corn...hard and sweet and immune, apparently, to
insects...that was entrusted to me by some Omaha women.  They NEED isolated
plots to plant this stuff and keep it going and so do we, to insure a rich
gene pool.  Outdoor museums are often a good source for things like heritage
trees or perennials like daylilies.  And don't forget the wilds!  (Okay,
okay, I have a book coming out next spring on the topic!)  Here I have
nursed some ancient calamus for decades and this year I'm working on sweet
grass and tipsila, or wild turnips.  The river I see out this window used to
be called "Plenty Potatoes" by the Omaha and Pawnee and now there's not a
single plant to be found.  With some luck and some help, there'll be some
next year.  Ancient tractors...ancient crops...ancient geezers...not that
far apart.

Ol' Rog