Spare parts - was Re: [AT] At the John Deere dealer.

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sat Apr 30 09:02:39 PDT 2005

I find it sad that some places are dropping such items as sickle sections.
Perhaps because hay is a large acreage crop here, sickle parts and sections
are readily available. Also, even though the dealer is ridiculously
expensive in the parts markup, they will get ANYTHING you want if they can
find a place to get it. This is because there is still a local experienced
parts man unlike the other branches....
    Having said that, I really miss Farmers Mercantile, the old IH then Case
IH dealer. They had every possible item you could imagine for all of the
brands of tractors they carried. Also, all the cultivating tools you could
want. And hardware and lubricants and .... But not the Home Depot stuff, it
was a true farm store. Time passes sadly. And in our county there is no
longer a tractor dealer, there is only the one Ag dealer in Santa Clara
County, one in Santa Cruz County and fewer than there used to be in Monterey
County too - basically Cat, John Deere, New Holland/AGCO, Same and
CaseIH.When I started farming in 1974 there were two dealers here, 10 in
Monterey County, four in Santa Clara County and two in Santa Cruz. Times
have cahnged.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California
p.s. Off to work the fields and deal with irrigation!