[Steam-engine] Case 80 or other traction engines

BETH VANARSDALL 24port at accesstoledo.com
Fri Apr 29 21:15:25 PDT 2005

Hi Rick,

You have to start where you are comfortable (and with what you can
comfortably afford).  As a farm kid who is used to operating big equipment,
the large engines (32 Reeves, 24 Port Huron, 20 Nichols, etc) are huge to
most people, but no big deal for me as I'm used to the 4 wheel drive
tractors.  If you don't have a lot of experience with large equipment, a
smaller (and usually more expensive) engine might be a better choice.

The portable is unique and may take up less space than a traction engine,
but I like to tour and plow.  I also grew up on the 24 Port.

Get comfortable with your vertical & the Wachs and go from there.

Good Luck!
Beth