[AJD] JD A

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 16:31:04 PDT 2005

Richard,

      I have purchased 5 A's in the past year.  A 1940 AN,  1936 AR, 1947 AN Hi-Clearance, 1944 A Slant Dash, and a 1948 A tricycle.  Prices ranged from $500 to $1600,  All of theses tractors need engine work in one form or another.  Three of them stuck,  one needs a crank,  the last ran but had broken block and head.   I also have a 1951 A,  and 1936 AO.  So yes,  I like A's.

     I was recently checking out the Western Antique Iron Trader and it seemed that there were several ads where you could pick up a good running A with a Parts tractor with it for $2000.   The bottom line is pay what it is worth to you to have one.   I love the sound of my 1950 A when I am out plowing with it,  but then I used to ride around on that tractor with my grandfather so for the most part that tractor can do no wrong.  Your tractor looks decent in the pictures.

                                               Chris

Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
Howdy all;
Coming on the auction block this weekend is this "A". Doesn't run, but
not stuck, cc drain plug is out. Missing the generator and the overall
metal including the front is not too bad. I didn't remove the flywheel
cover, so no idea on the condition of the flywheel. Tires, not too good.

Rumor has it that's they are a good sounding machine. I won't be using it
for work...just show and putt around.

Any thoughts, hints, going price..would be most appreciated.

Here's the first pix and hit fwd for a few more.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/332137140/332142575CsuUuA

Thanks much in advance!!
RickinMt.