[AT] Re: AT Digest, Vol 14, Issue 27

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 05:34:41 PDT 2005

>> From: "Bruce Fallon" <bfallon at whidbey.com>
>> Subject: Re: [AT] OT:I need some computer help please
>> Probably looking for abuse, but my wife and I each have an E-Machine mine is
>> more than 2 years old and hers is over 1 year no problems at all and way
>> under $1000.
>> Both of them have a DVD drive and a CD write drive.  60 Gig hard drives
>> modem and network cards.
>

> Ditto.  My computer at work started going south.  I found an Emachine at office depot
> for 499 ( -50$ rebate)= 449$
>
> Has xp, 512mb ram, dvd/cd writer, usb 2, 70gig hd, built in v92 modem, and 10/100
> network card, decent accelerator graphics card, that so far has worked nicely with
> some err.. software I shouldn't be playing on at work.  Has a celeron processor.. but it's
> on the higher end of  the celerons... 2.9ghz.. had speakers, kb and mouse included.
> Had I bought from sams.. I could have got virtually the same system, with an amd
> processor, 15" flat panel monitor, and inkjet printer., for 498$.
>
> Came with a decent software package.. MS Works, etc.
>
> Soudguy

	My sister is in her 2nd year on her EMachine and likes it a
lot. She has a helluva lot less trouble with it than I have had with
my last 3 Hewlett Packard desktops. They have theirs on a direct cable
hookup and it is at least as fast as my current HP.

	I just got a "new to me" refurbished Dell with a lot of bells
and whistles for about the same price as your Emachine. Mine has XP Pro
on it instead of XP Home. I'd advise anyone looking for a new computer
to check out what you can get from them.

	If you are not into "gaming" and are just going to use your
computer normally, I doubt you need all the RAM most of us buy these
days. I'd bet any computer you buy will work just fine with the RAM
that has been installed in it. One thing about memory, you can always
add more yourself later if you need it. Same thing for the hard drive,
you can get by with a very small hard drive in most instances and can
always add an external hard drive later if you need more storage space.
If you do, be sure to keep all the operating programs on the original
hard drive and use the external one for storage.

Cecil