[AT] On Topic - Merry Christmas!!

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Apr 26 21:09:23 PDT 2005

Thursday and Friday I planted my corn.  As I am a fairly small farmer, I
grow 26 acres.  Everybody in our area was very worried about moisture as we
had gone 28 consecutive days with no precipitation.  I planted the corn on
an open tractor in just my shirt sleeves.  However, moisture is no longer a
concern, as over the weekend we received 16" of snow, with a total on-the
-ground accumulation of 12" with drifts as deep as 4-ft. in places.  All
but 2 schools in the county were closed and over 3000 people were without
power.  I had hoped in the last two days it would disappear, but the
temperature has been around 50 with no sun.  As of tonight (Tuesday, 4/26)
myone shed door still has 2 feet of snow against it, and the county drains
still have about 3 feet of the stuff along the edges of them.  This is the
worst snow storm this late in the year, according to the weather people,
since 1883.  About 2/3 of the snow has melted off the fields.  Our new
concern is: will the seed rot, or will it survive and sprout?   Lawn mowers
are not real high on our priority list at the present.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe, MI
Located in the middle of Michigan's Thumb approximately 120 miles north of
Detroit.