[Farmall] 340U brakes fixed - now questions about PTO

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Apr 26 20:58:31 PDT 2005

The one thing I do know about the 340U PTO is that it does not engage
simply by releasing the lever.  It is one of two things - either it has a
second notch in the "up" position for the latch to engage, or (more likely)
it is of the "over center" type.  My guess is that it is either worn a
little or the linkage is bent so that it does not go over center.  In the
last case you may have to change the linkage so that it requires (and I'm
just guessing here) approximately 10 lbs of pull to go over center and thus
engage the PTO.  My brother had one for may years and I asked him tonight
how it operated and he could not remember for sure if it latched in the
"up" position or went over center.  Our best guess is the latter.  Someone
on the list alluded to the fact that there may be 2 types of PTO.  However,
all the 340s I have seen have the independent PTO which is driven by a
clutch pack inside.  While fairly reliable, these can be severely damaged
by excessive slippage.  My advice would be to see if someone on the list
has a manual and could e-mail you the proper pages for PTO adjustment, or
perhaps talk to a dealer.  Or possibly look at another 340 that is working
properly.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe, Michigan
Home of the 12" April 25 blizzard!