[AJD] 115 mile journey: another story

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Tue Apr 26 13:56:49 PDT 2005

Bill -

I enjoyed your Uncle David's recollections of his tractor journey.   Most of all I salute
the attitude toward getting the job done...  whatever it takes and not regarding it as
anything especially  noteworthy.  A hallmark of his generation that I've long
admired.

I've volunteered at the National Museum of the Pacific (old Adm. Nimitz Museum)
collecting oral histories from our marines, soldiers, sailors & airmen who fought in
the Pacific Theater.  The memories of our greatest generation are invaluable and I
regard your Uncle David's memories in the same light.  It would be great if the
Collectors Center had a similar effort to collect the same kinds of stories and
memories as they applied to the early years of mechanized farming.  It's probably
too late to catch many stories from the men and women what made the transition
from mule and plow to tractor, but we know from some of the recollections that
occasionally appear on this list that the kids of those farm families have wonderful
memories from the 30's through the 50's.  It's more than history... it's our heritage
and I would love to see the same level of effort put into preserving those memories
that we see lavished on our old iron.

Thanks for sharing your Uncle;e David's memories with the list.

Mike Massengale
Fredericksburg, Texas 78624